Eggnog & Your Teeth
Right around Halloween, you start to see it slowly make its way into stores – eggnog. You either love it or hate it. Unfortunately, your teeth don’t like eggnog. So, thankfully, it only comes around once a year.
Eggnog is full of sugar, fat, cholesterol and carbs. Although it does have some protein, it’s not significant enough to call it a “healthy” drink. You’d have to work extra hard at the gym to burn off the calories from one cup.
Eggnog is bad for your teeth because of the sugar. Compare it to drinking a can of soda, same effects. Eggnog is thick and coats your teeth after you drank it. If you decide to drink it at holiday parties, limit your portions and have a cup of water sitting nearby.
- Drink a sugar and alcohol-free alternative.
- Alternate sips of eggnog with water (like we mentioned before).
- Drink eggnog with a meal and not by itself. Eating helps wash away the sugar off your teeth.
- After drinking eggnog, brush your teeth or carry some sugar free gum.
Eggs & Your Teeth
Eating foods rich in vitamin D help you absorb the calcium that your teeth need.
- Calcium. First, low-fat or fat-free dairy products such as milk, cheese, and plain yogurt contain calcium. Other good sources of calcium are green leafy vegetables, which deliver a healthy boost of vitamin C, too.
- Vitamin D. Second, egg yolks, mushrooms, and most fish contain vitamin D you need to help build and maintain healthy teeth.
- Vitamin C. Third, red peppers and sweet potatoes can provide vitamin C for healthy gums.
- Crunches. Finally, crunchy fruits and vegetables help wipe away plaque-causing bacteria on your teeth.
Keep Your Teeth Clean
In need of a dental exam? Then consider signing up for one of our Argus dental plans to get you started. The Argus Freedom Plan offers quality, affordable coverage for basic and specialty dental care. Members have the freedom to choose the best quality care, when they need it.
The Argus Master Plan offers quality, affordable dental care coverage for Florida residents. Plans start as low as $8.95 per month.
If you need help with applying for a dental plan, contact our Argus Customer Care TODAY! We would be happy to get started on the path to a better smile.