How To Snack Smart On National Peanut Day
Today is National Peanut Day! Instead of snacking on potato chips. opt for something better for your dental health. One of the best foods for your teeth (and diet) are peanuts!
Peanuts are good for your teeth because they contain vitamins and minerals, particularly calcium and vitamin D. An important part of building a healthy mouth and body is protein. The protein found in peanuts help form and repair your cells.
The “good fats” in peanut butter aren’t just beneficial to your heart. Research suggests that they can also decrease your chances of gum disease.
- First, the shell. Don’t use your teeth to break the shell. You’ll risk chipping or even cracking a tooth, which can be seriously painful. Instead, use your hands or opt for the already shelled variety.
- Secondly, sugar. Even though peanut butter boasts some great nutritional benefits, it may come with a load of unnecessary sugar. Check the ingredients and pick brands free of added sugars.
- Finally, the stickiness. Save peanut butter for when you’ve got a toothbrush handy. It can stay on your teeth, promoting plaque-causing bacteria.
Tips for A Better Smile on National Peanut Day
The first thing that someone notices when they first meet you is your smile. Having crooked, stained or missing teeth can certainly affect your confidence. Here are 3 basic steps you can follow to show off a beautiful smile.
- Brush and Floss Daily: Brushing Is extremely important. It removes food particles that bacteria feed on and freshens your breath. Compliment your brushing with flossing daily to remove the bacteria that gets stuck in between your teeth.
- Eat a Healthy Diet: Include food in your diet that is good for your teeth such as dairy products (Cheese, milk, yogurt), apples, carrots and celery.
- Don’t Smoke: People who smoke are more likely to develop gum disease in comparison with non-smokers. Also, tobacco increases the chances of certain cancers and contributes to bad breath.
If you have any questions, contact your local dentist!