It’s National Pumpkin Cheesecake Day
October means fall colors, sweaters and pumpkins. While you’re sipping on apple cider, head to the store because it’s National Pumpkin Cheesecake Day! Believe it or not, pumpkin is good for your dental health.
Vitamins & Minerals
Pumpkin contains vitamins and minerals like zinc, which helps heal wounds and repair damaged tissues. Other benefits include,
- Vitamin A – which helps saliva flow
- Vitamin C – which helps your immune system
- Magnesium – which builds strong tooth enamel and prevent you from getting cavities
Pumpkin seeds contain iron, which helps keep the tissues in your mouth healthy. Carve out your pumpkin, clean the seeds and bake them in some pumpkin seed oil – YUM!
Did you know that cinnamon contains antioxidants that boost your immune system? According to NDTV Food, “nutmeg helps ease insomnia in small doses, and also facilitates healthy digestion.”
Sugar & Your Teeth
Bacteria lives in your mouth. Some of these bacteria form a sticky material called plaque that are on the surface on your teeth. When you put sugar in your mouth, the bacteria in the plaque turns it into acids. The acids dissolve the hard enamel that covers your teeth. That’s how cavities start.
Clean Teeth on Pumpkin Cheesecake Day
Every dentist will tell you that brushing is an important part of your dental care. To have a healthy mouth and smile, the American Dental Association recommends:
- First and foremost, brush your teeth twice a day with a soft-bristled brush.
- Second, replace your toothbrush every three or four months.
- Third, make sure to use an ADA-accepted fluoride toothpaste.
- Talk to your local dentist about what types of dental products you should be using. If you see the ADA Seal, that tells the product has met their criteria for safety and effectiveness.
If you’re looking for an affordable dental plan, consider the Argus Master or Freedom Plans!