Take Care of Your Eyes During Older Americans Month
May is designated as Older Americans Month. One common problem as people age is vision change. You need to be aware of the warning signs of age-related eye health problems. How can you avoid problems? Schedule regular eye exams and wear your contacts or glasses if prescribed!
Vision Problems During Older Americans Month
According to the AAO, “Age-Related Macular Degeneration (AMD) causes blindness among older Americans.”
- First, visit an eye care professional regularly for a comprehensive dilated eye exam. This is the most important thing you can do to reduce your risk of vision loss as you age. Through a comprehensive dilated eye exam, your eye care professional can check for early signs of macular degeneration, cataract, diabetic retinopathy, and glaucoma.
- Second, eat a healthy, balanced diet. Load up on fruits and vegetables to keep your eyes healthy. Dark, leafy greens such as spinach, kale, and collard green are especially good for eye health.
- Third, maintain a healthy weight. Being overweight increases your risk for diabetes.
- Fourth, don’t smoke. Smoking increases your risk for age-related macular degeneration, cataract, and other eye diseases that can damage the optic nerve.
- Finally, wear sunglasses and a brimmed hat when outdoors. Protecting your eyes from the sun’s UV rays when you are outdoors is vital for your eye health. Choose sunglasses that block 99-100% of both UV-A and UV-B radiation.
Get a Vision Plan
Here at Argus, we offer the Freedom and Master Plan Vision Plans. The Freedom Vision Plan is available to Freedom Dental Plan members.
First, the plans are affordable. The Freedom starts at $2.74 per month.
Second, with a hassle-free vision plan, there’s no waiting periods, no claims and no deductibles.
Third, Freedom Vision Plan Members have access to over 1,000 Quality In-Network Providers, as well as discounts on Lasik and Sunwear.
On the other hand, the Master Plan Vision Rider is available to current Master Plan Dental members only. The rider offers basic eye care savings and additional savings on Contact Lens Ordering and Lasik Vision Correction.
With three different co-payment options available, and a 15% discount on most services, the Master Plan Vision Rider offers the flexibility you deserve.
The first co-payment option starts at $3.95 per month, the second at $3.35 per month, and the third starts at $2.74 per month.
In conclusion, if you have any questions regarding vision benefits, reach out to an Argus team member TODAY. We’d be happy to help you choose the best plan.