What’s the Best Way to Clean Your Glasses?
Cleaning your glasses is the best way to keep them looking great and prevent damage. However, there are right and wrong ways when it comes to cleaning them.
Here are the RIGHT ways:
- Wash and dry your hands thoroughly. You want to make sure your hands are free from any dirt or lotion that can get be transferred to your lenses. Use lotion-free soap or dishwashing liquid, and a lint-free towel to clean your hands.
- Rinse your glasses under lukewarm water. Avoid hot water which can damage some eyeglass lens coatings.
- Apply a small drop of lotion-free dishwashing liquid to each lens.
- Gently rub both sides of the lenses and all part of the frame for a few seconds.
- Rinse both sides and the frame.
- Gently shake your glasses to eliminate water from the lenses.
- Dry the lenses and frame with a lint-free towel.
- Inspect your lenses again and again.
Here are the WRONG ways:
- DON’T use your shirt to clean your glasses.
- DON’T use saliva to wet your lenses.
- DON’T use household glass or surface cleaners for your glasses.
- DON’T use paper towels, napkins or tissues.
Your eye doctor will suggest keeping your glasses in a protective storage case. Never put them on a table or counter with the lenses facing down. Follow these important tips and keep your glasses looking like the first day you put them on!